Saturday, December 8, 2007

Wat Pah Nanachat via ThaiPulse

A link via ThaiPulse to Wat Pah Nanachart, which can be translated into "International Forest Monastery".

The atmosphere looks like other forest monasteries that I have been to in Thailand, which are mostly in the Northeast of Thailand or in the Eastern Coast of the country (like Rayong and Chantaburi).

Recently, many forest monasteries or branches of forest monasteries have been established in areas around Kao Yai as well. My teacher, Ajahn Baen (who is the student of Ajahn Kongma, one of the students of Ajahn Mun who was the Master of the Masters of the Thai Forest Tradition) also spend a few months of the year in Kao Koh, near Kao Yai, while spending the rest in Wat Doi Dhamma Chadee in Sakon Nakorn (also in Northeast of Thailand).

These areas in Kao Yai are good for practice because they are quit serene and full of forests. Also, it is convenient for people who live in or near Bangkok to visit Ajahns because it only takes about 2-3 hours drive each way, so we can make one-day visits during weekends. Having said that, I have not seen Ajahn Baen for over a year now since I came to work in Hong Kong.

Well, as for myself, although I do visit other Ajahns in the Forest Tradition (both Ajahn Mun and Ajahn Chah's lineages, which to me are the same) when people go, I am content with studying with Ajahn Baen at Wat Doi Dhamma Chadee. I am sure that are many great and fully liberated teachers both in Thailand and elsewhere, but, really, what is the need if I have already found the teacher who can see right through my kilasa (defilements) and give great advices, even without words....

No comments: