Sunday, December 21, 2008

A 10K Run

Yesterday I went for a run for about an hour around a 500m track, and tried to be mindful at the same time (I usually count steps). I kept having random thoughts creeping up in the first half an hour, but this creeping up of random thoughts reduced as time went by, and the longer I ran I was able to be with counting of steps more. Found it to be useful, although the strength of mindfulness from this "running meditation" was less than that from "walking meditation" for the same amount of time.

I believe that we have to continue to practice 24/7 rather than only in sitting or walking meditation, or when we study the scriptures and read teachings of our Ajahns/ Masters. Watching the breath while we go to sleep; be openly aware of the surrounding when we walk to lunch; and watching emotions, etc, as we go about our office work are parts of practice.

And all of these should be guarded by moral conducts, sila.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I heard that this monk from Udorn, Luang Por Thoon, used to "run meditation" for 400 meters or so and then back because he found himself getting too peaceful when sitting or walking slowly:

http://www.luangporthoon.com/

Gavesako

VB said...

Thanks Ajahn. I thought monks aren't allow to run :-)