Saturday, November 17, 2007

Back to work (2)

I have been working in Hong Kong for almost a year now, and from the beginning the relationship between myself and my direct report has been nothing but ideal. The "friction" of work began to build up since the first few weeks that I was in Hong Kong (although at a personal level, the Direct Report is a very nice person), and I know that this can only lead to bad ending, whether it will be in this year, or for next year.

I have been in working in middle management roles for more than 4 years, so I could smell something funny going since the middle of this year. I tried to stick around, kept my head low and did my best, but this proved to have no material positive impact. So as the end of the year is just round the corner, I come to a point that that I have to make a decision - "stick" or "move". I have decided that "moving" is a good idea, both for my health and for work in general. So I put things in motion, asking my boss (not the line manager, but the head of our group) that I either be relocated inside the Department in Hong Kong, or moved back to Thailand, but I would not stay were I was. A few days ago it was confirmed that I will join another team in the department in Hong Kong.

Anyway, as my contract is 2 years (although this can be change any time), there is one more year to go.

For me, sometimes one can go on and on and try to "blend" and "tune" into what one's direct report wants. The problem is that I have problems with his "wanting". I work for my employee, the bank, not for any individuals. It is best that I move on, rather than continue to stick on and bring suffering to myself and my family, and create more unnecessary friction with my previous line manager.

In today's office live, I believe one has to balance between work strategies, goal, and practicing Buddhism. When one works, one should work to his best efforts, but also have to ensure that it is within the boundary of the Buddha's eighthfold path. I hope I have made the right decision.

No comments: