Sunday, November 11, 2007

Relaxed meditation

It seems to me that in the West, most people meditate to "get" something, to "attain" whatever they dream up to be attainable, and to "reach the goal" whatever that goal may be. This seems to be due to the West's focus on "getting results" which has been ingrained in our (our your) minds since we were young. Business Schools' teachings may be of no help and are probably counter productive in spiritual practice as they tell us to get these done by tonight, do those tasks by tomorrow at 5 am, present these findings straight after lunch, and even deliver end of year thesis before the professors go home or go for holidays.

Is this "result orientated" attitude productive? Perhaps by focusing too much on the results of meditation - be it sitting for the whole night, walking meditation for half an hour, or even running meditation for 10 k.m. (which I do quite often actually) and try to get into jhanas, have insights or simply to calm the minds - are not suitable for practice Buddhism.

Currently my approach to practice is to be mindful as much as possible when I am awake, if possible I'd like to have full mindfulness 24/7, but I know that it's impossible for me at the moment (which may be a very long moment...like until I die).

Anyway, can't meditation be simply relaxation - no goal, no attainment, no anything !!

JUST SIT, JUST WALK, JUST RUN, JUST STAND....JUST DO IT and RELAX !!

Perhaps this is more beneficial. Perhaps it is what we need.

No comments: