Sunday, November 11, 2007

Death (1)

I have been contemplating on "death" lately. Assuming that an average Thai male has life expectancy of about 70, then I have only about 30 years left to practice and do something useful. The kids are getting older too, and I want to make sure (which I know is impossible) that they will have a firm interest in Buddhism before I die.

No time to waste.

And I believe that the number "30 years" is a bit optimistic! Who knows, I can drop dead tomorrow, or next year, or within 5 years....

Who knows? There might be big big tumor developing in this body. I don't know.

But what is death exactly?

The breaking up of this body; the end to life with people I love; an end to memories accumulated over all these years; an end to practice Buddhism in the human form (but what next, I don't know where kamma will carry me to!@?@); and simply the transition from one state to another, as in death consciousness leading to rebirth consciousness....


I can feel "old age" in my bones, in the way I sit, run and even think!

Better use the remaining time left to give myself a firmer foundation of Buddhism, and to plant the seeds of curiosity in Buddhism in my kids' young minds....

For all I know, I can be reborn a dog!

No comments: