Saturday, November 17, 2007

Tiny Consciousness (1)

From one of my posts at e-Sangha

When I sit, stand or walk meditate, I find that when the mind is not yet calm, but just calm enough for me to watch the fleeting changes that occur in the mind, when there is observation of breathing or when I contemplate something, random thoughts also come in between these watching breathing or contemplations. If the random thoughts are strong, obviously they lead to mindlessness, and that is when I have to pull back to the meditation subjects. However, there can also be very tiny random consciousness that come during meditation which I would not be able to notice under normal circumstances (i.e. not in meditation). These tiny random consciousness comes in any forms - sights, sounds, smells, clips of memory, etc. These come attached with "like" and "dislike', like they are glued together. So basically, these random consciousness come together with wholesome/unwholesome lables attached. During the day, these tiny random thoughts are not detectable, but they are unavoidable as they are simply a natural process in the stream of cittas. So, sometimes I can find myself having wholesome or unwholesome feelings without knowing where they come from (well, from these random tiny cittas that are glued with wholesome/unwholesome feelings). For my, only under meditation environment that these bits of consciousness can be detected. Does this make sense?

I guess for ariya, this "glue" that I am talking about no longer exist for them. So for them, there is no aversion to any consciousness that they experence, even though they are tiny and brief.

No comments: